Sunday, June 13, 2004

Nada mucho going on today. Lazy Sunday is what we like to call it! I hope everyone is able to do that!

One of my really good friends just moved back to her home state of Wisconsin last month (I miss you Jessica!) Anyway, I talked to her yesterday and she told me that they went to a thing called "Dairy Days" and she had deep fried cheese curd. What the heck? Only in the mid west would you find something like that. Sounds good to me! But what are cheese curds??

"cheese curds are fresh, young cheddar cheese in the natural, random shape and form before being processed into blocks and aged"

Sounds good to me- now how do I make them???

Deep Fried Cheese Curds

"Straight out of Wisconsin, fried cheese curds are a favorite at carnivals and fairs. They look like little balls of popcorn and taste like cheese! Use up to 2 pounds of cheese curds with this recipe."


1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 pound cheese curds
1 quart oil for frying


1 In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the eggs and milk. Mix until smooth. Add more milk for a thinner batter. Coat the cheese curds with the batter.
2 Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Fry the coated cheese curds approximately 1 minute each, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Makes 24 Servings


Yummy, but kinda scary at the same time :)

-Amanda